Experian, released the 2012 Digital Marketer: Benchmark and Trend Report. This 128-page report provides information on consumer and technology trends, as well as insights on email marketing, mobile, and social media. Nearly half of marketers (46%) in the study say that coordinating all these channels is their biggest challenge.
From channel optimization to cross-channel optimization along the Marketing Sophistication Curve
Marketers need to innovate and leverage new technologies. The Marketing Sophistication Curve supports brands to evaluate their level of cross-channel marketing and suggests opportunities for improvement. Challenges include:
- Cross-channel optimization requires an integrated approach across the customer journey, company silos and disparate systems
- The need for cross-channel optimization is evident in the declining performance of traditional media and marketing methods.
- Marketers are being held accountable for return on investment (ROI) on marketing spend.
- Measurement needs to be adjustes to know what’s working and what’s not in this complex, multi-channel mix.
- The attribution of response by channel and across channels is a huge challenge, yet measurement is essential to both motivating and guiding innovation.
Specific initiatives can be undertaken to develop or enhance the people, process and technology that compose the marketing technology ecosystem.
- 91% of adults online use social media regularly.
- Revenue per email averages two times higher for “friends and family” campaigns.
- 28% of smartphone owners watch videos on their phones in a typical month.
- Pinterest is now the third most popular social networking site, after Facebook and Twitter.
- 92% percent of businesses feel their contact data is inaccurate in some way.